'A medieval market town revived'
Henry VIII came to Gainsborough in 1541 while on his way to York. Accompanying him was his fifth wife, Catherine Howard, along with some 5,000 soldiers and 200 tents! At this time his future sixth wife, Katherine Parr, was married to Lord Latimer, having been previously married to Lord Burgh's eldest son, Edward.
The Lord Burghs were owners of Gainsborough Old Hall between 1460 and 1596.
Another royal connection is King Alfred the Great who married Elswitha, a Gainsborough girl.
Today this red brick market town and river port has retained some of its 18th century buildings, but its jewel is Gainsborough Old Hall where kings have dined.Walk inside this awesome past. Take in the wonderful view of the Trent Valley, almost to the Humber, from the top of the tower in the Old Hall.
Marshall's Yard shopping complex offers 29 fantastic stores including an Italian restaurant, coffee shop, health club and landscaped plaza.
The town has origins as a river crossing place, and later an inland port, miles from the sea, but on the River Trent which runs through the west of the city marking the border with Nottinghamshire. It flourished in the Middle Ages and in the Civil War was a frontier town. Industry helped it prosper. Wool was exported whilst machinery and even submarines were built here.
Enjoy the town, take in the markets, stroll along the river where George Eliot was inspired to write ‘The Mill on the Floss', enjoy the Bend in the River Gallery.