St Michael's Church at St Michael's Church, Burwell
The brick-and-greensand church tower of St Michael’s can be seen on a hillside above the main road and the church has great views over gently rolling countryside.
The walls show clear signs of alterations over the centuries: there was once a south aisle and the near windowless north wall may have been adjacent to monastic buildings.
Prominent inside is the exquisite Norman chancel arch with carved capitals; above it, a Medieval wallpainting depicts a crowned head.
There is also a 17th-century pulpit and some interesting monuments.
020 7213 0660
VenueSt Michael's Church, Burwell
Burwell, Louth, Lincolnshire, LN11 8PR
Road directions: 5 miles south of Louth on A16
Nearest station : 14 miles (22.5 kms) from Thorpe Culvert station
- All Saints' Church at All Saints' Church, Haugham
- All Saints' Church - Great Steeping
- Church of St John the Baptist at Church of St John the Baptist, Yarburgh
- St Benedict's Church at St Benedict's Church, Haltham-on-Bain
- St Botolph's Church at St Botolph's Church, Skidbrooke
- St George's Church at St George's Church, Goltho
- St Helen's Church at St Helen's Church, Little Cawthorpe
- St Martin’s Church at St Martin’s Church, Waithe
- St Mary's Church at St Mary's Church, North Cockeringham
- St Peter's Church at St Peter's Church, Kingerby
- The ArChWay Project