Long Sutton Walk Three
Long Sutton is a small market town in South Holland with many fine buildings from the 18th century. In 1307 Long Sutton was on the sea bank and Walpole Cross Keys was five miles away on the sea bank in Norfolk, separated by marshland. In 1640 three miles of the marsh was enclosed by Cornelieus Vermuyden and Long Sutton was no longer on the sea bank. In 1831 Cross Keys Embankment together with a bridge designed by John Rennie over the newly dug Nene Outfall Cut made it possible for a direct route from Norfolk into Lincolnshire. Two coaching inns in Long Sutton, the Bull Hotel and the Crown and Woolpack were well placed for passing travellers.The name Long Sutton comes from the Old English, Sutton meaning village to the south and Long being a description of a long straggling village. These walks will explore the town and surrounding open countryside
Walk location: Long Sutton lies 8 km (5 miles) east of Holbeach.
Starting point: Market House, Market Street, Long Sutton.
- Linked to Public Transport
- Dog Friendly
St Mary’s church dates from the late 12th century and many Norman features are still present. The magnificent leaded spire stands 162 feet tall and is the tallest of its type in the country. It was built to the same design as the spire in Chesterfield.
- 1Leave the Market House and turn right. Take the second turn on the right, Market Place.
- 2At the War Memorial and church turn left and follow the public footpath between the car park and churchyard. Continue along the edge of the churchyard to a road.
- 3At the road turn right.
- 4After approximately 300m turn right onto Seagate Road.
- 5After approximately 450m (¼ mile) turn right onto a public footpath along a track between some houses. Follow the track straight ahead.
- 6At the end of the track where it meets a drain turn right and follow the public footpath alongside the drain. At the bend, follow the path left over a culvert and then between two fields towards the church spire.
- 7At the end of the field, cross the drain and bear left towards the end of the wooden fence.
- 8Follow the path between the fence and hedge. Ignore the tarmac path and road on the left and follow the path ahead, between a fence and hedge. Where the path meets a tarmac path walk straight ahead to a junction with a road.
- 9Turn right and follow the road through the town, past the church, to a T-junction. Turn left to return to the start point.
The walk uses roadside pavements and field paths. There are no stiles or livestock.