Delightful churches and waterways heritage are part of the visitor appeal for the low lying area collectively known as The Deepings – a Saxon name meaning deep places.
Nestling beside the River Welland on the southern borders of South Kesteven sits the town of Market Deeping and the villages of Deeping St James and West Deeping – an area once roamed by mammoths and woolly rhinoceros! Attractions include Market Deeping Antiques Centre and its triangular market place, featuring fine stone buildings and former coaching inns and the 13th century church of St Guthlac’s with two sundials on the tower.
The church of St. James has original priory features with an elegant spire. St Guthlac’s Church retains Anglo Saxon features with a tower built by Margaret Beaufort, the mother of Henry VII. A fine church of St. Andrew is at West Deeping plus the remains of a water mill (now a private home).
Remains of two locks on the river in Deeping St James are part of a navigation of the River Welland constructed in the 17th century. Together with a six-and-a half-mile canal that connected the Deepings with Stamford, the river traffic brought great wealth for the Deepings’ merchants.
The Stamford canal was in use from 1673 until 1863 and was probably the earliest, post-Roman commercial canal in England. A rose and sweet pea show at Deeping St James dates back for more than a century. The Annual Deepings Raft Race is one of the largest events of its kind in Great Britain and Tallington Lakes Leisure Centre is another water-borne attraction.
For more infomation, please contact the Stamford Tourist Information Centre by email or phone 01780 755611