Ruskington One River Walk Short
Ruskington is one of Lincolnshire’slargest villages and has a large stream known as The Beck running through its centre. The place name Ruskington is derived from the Old English ‘riscen’ meaning ‘rushy, growing with rushes’ and ‘tun’ meaning ‘a farmstead, village’.
The ‘-sk-‘ is due to Scandinavian influence. All Saints’ church dates to the twelfth century with thirteenth and fifteenth century additions and alterations. Some of the stained glass dates to the fourteenth century. The tower was restored in 1620 following the collapse of the spire and the whole church restored and the chancel rebuilt in 1885.
This walk offers the opportunity to explore the village and the surrounding countryside.
Walk location: Ruskington lies 30 km (19 miles) south-east of Lincoln and 6 ½ km (4 miles) north of Sleaford.
Starting point: All Saints’ church at the junction of Church Street and High Street North, Ruskington. Grid reference: TF 082 510
- Linked to Public Transport
- Dog Friendly
- 1Facing the church gate, turn left along Church Street to a crossroads and roundabout.
- 2Turn left along Station Road.
- 3After approximately 350 metres and after passing Chestnut Street, take the public footpath signed on the left. Pass the school and cross the blue railway footbridge. Walk straight on between the hedge and fence to a gate. Cross the field to the field corner and bridge.
- 4Cross the bridge, turn right and follow the path to a field. Walk alongside the hedge and enter the next field through a gap in the far hedge. Walk straight ahead across the field to a gate and track.
- 5Turn right along the track, to a junction with a restricted byway. Turn right along the lane and restricted byway. At the junction with the road turn right and follow it into Ruskington.
- 10Turn right along Chestnut Street and at the T-junction turn left to return to the start.
The walk uses pavements, roads, field paths and tracks. There are no stiles. You may encounter livestock.