pretty market town close to The Wash
Pretty market town close to The Wash with attractive Georgian houses set amid rich farmland reclaimed from the once flooded fens.
St Mary’s Church in the market place has the highest, oldest and best preserved lead covered timber spire in England. It is similar in design to Chesterfield Parish Church. Sensibly they must have used seasoned wood because it hasn’t twisted like the famous Chesterfield spire. Highwayman Dick Turpin lived in Long Sutton for about nine months under the alias John Palmer.
SPECIAL TO Long Sutton
St Mary’s Church
Sutton Bridge
River Nene
things to do in the Long Sutton area
Burghley House
‘Perch Here’ Trail
ARTeFACT Trail
Ayscoughfee Hall
Barnsdale Gardens
Baytree Owl and Wildlife Centre
Bourne Woods
Browne’s Hospital
Clipsham Yew Tree Avenue
Deepings Lakes Nature Reserve
Film and TV location Walking Tour with Stamford Sights and Secrets Tours
Grantham Museum
Springfields Designer Outlet & Leisure
Stamford Arts Centre
Stamford Shakespeare Company
Stamford Sights and Secrets Tours
Tallington Lakes Leisure Park
Baston and Langtoft Lakes Birdwatching
Baston Fen Nature Reserve
Belton Park Birdwatching
Boothby Wildland Birdwatching
Boothby Wildland Nature Reserve
Bourne Woods Birdwatching
Bowthorpe Oak
Chain Bridge Forge
Crowland Abbey
Deeping Lakes Birdwatching
Doddington Birdwatching
Peterborough & Spalding Gliding Club
Sophie Allport
St. Martins Antiques Centre
Stamford Corn Exchange Theatre
Willow Tree Fen Birdwatching
Willow Tree Fen Nature Reserve
Wyndham Park Grantham
Adventure Land
Holbeach Royal Observer Corps Underground Monitoring Post
Pulvertoft Flowers
Spalding Gentlemen’s Society Museum
Stately Homes of South Lincolnshire
Did you know?
St Matthew in Sutton Bridge is the only flint church in Lincolnshire, this neighbouring village is notable for its bridge crossing into Norfolk. There are two 19th century lighthouses three miles to the north of the village. The River Nene has always been an important navigation for shipping and twin lighthouses were built at the mouth of the River Nene guiding ships through the sand banks and into the river. The East Bank Lighthouse is known as the Sir Peter Scott Lighthouse as the naturalist and artist once lived there.
It was here in October 1216 that King John’s baggage train, complete with all his treasures, was swept away by the incoming tide. The whole area was composed of shifting sands and silt. Prior to there being a bridge the route across the marshes between Lincolnshire and Norfolk was only possible at low tide and required a guide. Wagons, livestock and travellers were frequently lost in the quicksand of the marshes.
Cross Keys Bridge
Known as Cross Keys Bridge, the swing bridge at Sutton Bridge was built in 1897 and is Grade II* listed. The third bridge here to cross the tidal River Nene, it carries the A17 providing the only direct link between Lincolnshire and Norfolk. The bridge opens several times a week to allow ships through to the Port of Wisbech. Tolls were charged until 1903 and it originally took both road and rail, one carriageway for trains, the other for motor vehicles, it was converted to two-way traffic in 1960.
Pilots practicing their low-level flying skills for the Dambusters Raid in 1943 came to Sutton Bridge. There were electric cables crossing the River Nene just before the bridge itself and the pilots would fly their Lancasters under the cables and then have to very rapidly rise to skim over Cross Keys Bridge missing it by a few feet.
delicious food & drink near Long Sutton
Brightside Ram Jam
Cosy Club Stamford
Lambert’s Kitchen
Lilli’s Tea Room and Cakery
The Six Bells, Witham on the Hill
Tobie Norris Inn
Zada Restaurant
1760 Brasserie
All Saints Brewery
Cloisters Italian Bistro
SEAFOOD by Adam Noble
William Cecil Hotel
Ayscoughfee Hall Cafe
Horse & Groom
Moulton Windmill Granary Tea Room and shop
places to stay near Long Sutton
The Barn Hotel
Classic Cottages Lincolnshire
Clematis Cottages
Fletland Mill & Holiday Hamlet
IndieHaus
Lambert Cottage
Mr. Molecey’s Marvellous Mill
Stamford Farmhouse
Stamford Holiday
Stamford Holiday Cottages
Stamford Meadows Glamping
The Cley Hall Hotel
The Dairy at Burghley
The Old Granary
The Studio
Wigwam Holidays ® Crowtree
Meadow View
Serenity Lakes Lodges
St Mary’s Place B&B
The Barnsdale
The George of Stamford
The Little Barn
William Cecil Hotel
Horse & Groom
Keal Lodge Caravan Park
The Lawns and Lakes Camping and Caravanning Site
more about the South Countryside
Discover more information about things to do, food and drink and places to stay in the area.












