From the beautiful stone town of Stamford you will walk across farmland to Uffington village before returning across the dried bed of Stamford canal and past St Leonards Priory.
Tourist Information Centre (TIC) and Arts Centre
St Mary’s Street
Grid reference TF 031 070
Stamford is noted as being one of the finest stone towns in the country. The stone being local limestone and Collyweston stone slate.
In the 9th century Stamford was an important Anglo-Scandinavian centre and was taken over by the Danes. It was one of the five boroughs of the Danelaw. During the Middle Ages the predominant trades were iron-working, weaving and pottery. Their success was due in part to the excellent communication routes including the River Welland. By the end of the period the town was one of the ten largest in England and had fourteen churches, two Benedictine religious houses, one of which was a nunnery, and four friaries.
In 1967 Stamford became the first Conservation Area in the country. Today it is an attractive market town and a great place from which to explore the local countryside.
As you approach Uffington more of Burghley House will come into view. This magnificent Elizabethan house was built between 1555 and 1587 by William Cecil, the Lord High Treasurer to Queen Elizabeth I. It was built with stone from Northamptonshire in the shape of the letter E in honour of the Queen. It has been altered over the centuries and is missing the original north-west wing which was removed to allow better views of the parkland designed by Capability Brown
St Leonards Benedictine Priory was established around 1082 on the supposed site of an earlier monastery. The building is a fine example of Norman architecture and the grand west front was built in 1150. From the 14th century onwards there were few monks living there and after the dissolution it passed to the Cecils.
- 1Leave the TIC, cross the road and walk almost straight ahead along Maiden Lane. At the T-junction turn right along High Street and then St Paul’s Street and walk past Stamford School.
- 2At the traffic lights continue straight on. At the roundabout bear left. Walk past the Retail Park and at the traffic lights continue straight on.
- 3After approximately 160m and just before Rutland Road turn right along a track and public footpath.
- 4At the field turn left and after approximately 80m bear right across the field following the line of an area of uneven ground. After approximately 300m, bear right to a metal footbridge that will come into view.
- 5Cross the bridge and continue in the same direction to cross the field to reach a footpath sign that will come into view. Continue in the same direction to the corner of the field.
- 6At the road turn left. As the road bends to the left walk straight on along a public footpath.
- 7After 60m turn right along another footpath, keeping to the edge of the field. At the corner of the field turn left to continue to follow the field edge. At the next corner turn right over a small bridge and walk straight on. At the corner continue in the same direction across the middle of a field.
- 8At the hedge and track, turn right and follow the track for one mile (1.5 kilometres), including a right then left turn. The track will end in a field. Continue straight on along the field edge to a gate and then a road.
- 9To visit Uffington village turn left. To continue on the walk turn right and follow the roadside path for 150m to a public footpath on the left.t Uffington village turn left. To continue on the walk turn right and follow the roadside path for 150m to a public footpath on the left.
- 10Cross the busy road with care, and follow the public footpath along the edge of the field beside a fence.
- 11 Cross the bridge over the dry bed of the Stamford Canal and continue to walk beside the fence to another bridge.
- 6Cross the bridge and continue straight ahead across the field to walk between the hedge and the river. Follow the path, keeping the hedge and wall on the right, to a gate. Follow the track straight on past Hudds Mill before bearing right to continue along the track and bridleway.
- 7At the junction with a road turn left. At the roundabout bear left along Priory Road and past St Leonards Priory.
- 8At the end of Priory Road carry straight on along St Leonards Street. As the road bends right, turn left along St Georges Street. Follow the road round to the right in front of St George’s Church to St Georges Square. Cross St Georges Square to return to the starting point.
The walk uses roadside pavements, field paths and tracks. You are likely to encounter stiles and livestock.