Blackfriars is Boston's centre for entertainment and the arts. It is home to very successful local amateur dramatic and operatic groups, it's own Theatre Academy, several local children's and adult's music and dance clubs, as well as hosting a varied program of professional stage productions and monthly Art Exhibitions.
Its history as a venue for the arts dates back to 1959, when premises were required which could be converted, into a theatre.
Led by Alan Champion, warden of Pilgrim College, and local architect Alan Meldrum, the idea of creating a "Little Theatre" from the remains of the thirteenth century Dominican Friary, in Spain Lane, was formed. In September 1961 the Blackfriars Trust was formed to raise money for the conversion, supported by a grant from the Ministry of Works.