Viking Way 11 Marston To Woolsthorpe Walk
Marston, Lomg Benington, Woolsthorpe
Field paths and ancient tracks form the route through South Kesteven villages. The River Witham is crossed again and you will walk under the East Coast main railway line and over the A1 road and the final section is beside the Grantham Canal.
Stonepit Lane, Marston, Grantham
- 1Follow Stonepit Lane straight ahead for approximately 1.3 miles (two kilometres) to its end at a junction with another bridleway.
- 2Turn left and after approximately 150 metres turn right over the bridge and continue straight ahead along the bridleway for approximately 450 metres to a junction with a restricted byway.
- 3Turn right to continue along the bridleway to a road.
- 4Turn right and follow the road for approximately 300 metres.
- 5Turn left onto a bridleway. At the end of the hedged section continue straight ahead for approx. 200m to a junction with a footpath and bear right to join the footpath towards Westborough village. Cross the River Witham and continue ahead past the church to a road junction.
- 6Cross the road and continue straight ahead onto a public footpath. Walk straight across the field to a gate, bridge and junction with a bridleway.
- 7Continue straight ahead across the field. Follow the bridleway along the field edge and across two fields, the second being dedicated Denver's Field (see below), to the river. Cross the river and follow the path to a road.
- (To visit Long Bennington village and its facilities : At point 8. turn right and at the T-junction turn left to join the main village road. For shops, pubs and café turn right. To return to the Viking Way turn left and follow the roadside path for approximately 0.5 miles (800 metres) to where the road splits into two. Take the right hand fork signed Sewstern Lane, taking care crossing and walking beside the roads. Join directions at point 10)
- 8Turn left and follow the road, as it bends right, for 0.5 miles (800 metres) to a roundabout.
- 9Turn right and then take the first left.
- Cross the A1 and follow the road, with care, as it bends to the left.
- 10Take the second turn on the left, Sewstern Lane. Follow the tarmac lane to its end and then continue straight on through the farmyard and along a stone track, still Sewstern Lane. Continue straight on for approximately 2.5 miles (four kilometres) to a level crossing. Cross with care, adhering to on site instructions.
- (To visit Allington village take the second footpath on the left after leaving the farmyard and follow it along the field edge and then between hedges to join a road. Turn left and follow the road into the centre of the village. To return to the Viking Way retrace your route along the same road (Bottesford Lane) but rather than turn onto the restricted byway, continue along the lane for approx 0.6 miles (one kilometre) to a junction with a stone track. Turn left and you are on the Viking Way.) Having crossed the A52 continue straight ahead along the lane and follow it as it bends to the left and enters a woodland. Follow the track for approx. another 0.6 miles (one kilometre) to a road.
- 11Cross the busy A52 with extreme care.
- 12Cross the road and continue ahead along the track. After approximately 200 metres bear right to join the towpath beside the Grantham Canal. Keep on the towpath to the Rutland Arms pub beside the canal.
The route uses village pavements, field paths, tracks and roads. A railway line and the busy A52 road are crossed near Sedgebrook. There are no stiles, and you may encounter livestock.