East Keal Walk Two
This is one of three walks at East Keal set on the southern edge of the Wolds where they fall away to the Fens. The walks cross a variety of landscapes from undulating hedged pastures to the wide open fenland fields.
By the time of the Domesday Book East Keal was well established. The name Keal originating from kjolr, Old English meaning ‘a ridge’. The underlying geology is Jurassic clays, and the village had its own brickworks until 1906 when bricks started to be massed produced in Peterborough. Many of the village cottages were built using the local bricks.
Toynton All Saints is also documented in the Domesday Book. Known as Totintun, meaning the farmstead or village associated with or called after ‘Tota’ from the Old English, the affix comes from the church dedication. It was a well known medieval and post medieval pottery centre. In 1958, a complete decorated jug was discovered. Later excavations by Mrs E. H. Rudkin in a field known as The Roses, located a kiln and a number of complete or near complete jugs. The decorated jugs associated with the
Toyntons were made from local Jurassic clay and were usually red/yellow in colour with an olive green glaze over the upper part of the jug. Motifs, often of elaborate design, were applied in a thin line of dark brown slip.
The route you will walk from East Keal through to Toynton used to be the main thoroughfare between the villages before the days of the turnpike (now the A16) and was known as Boston Lane. History records trade inpottery and other goods along this route, including the collection of flour from Toynton All Saints for the bakery in East Keal.
Starting point: The General Store at East Keal.
Grid reference: TF 097 169.
The church was built during the 13th and 14th centuries but the west tower was rebuilt in the Early English style in 1853 after the original fell down.
The farmhouse on the left of the two bridges is old Toynton watermill. It was working until 1927. The iron mill wheel was removed in 1939 as part of the war effort. At the time of its closure, it was said to be the only overshot wheel in Lincolnshire.
- 1Walk down Church Lane, past St Helen’s church and the Old Rectory and onto two gates and a stile. Follow the bridleway as it runs alongside the hedge to another gate and stile.
- 2Keep on the bridleway, which bears left, across the field to a gate, stile and then sign. Follow the bridleway, by keeping the fence and hedge on your right, to a gate and two footbridges.
- 3Cross both bridges and turn immediately right (following the yellow footpath arrows) and walk up the hill (avoiding the farm track) to a stile in the hedge on the left.
- 4 Turn right and follow the footpath along the hedge line and onto to the next footpath sign.
- 10At the footpath sign continue straight on along the side of the dyke.
- 11At the end of the dyke turn left along the public footpath for approximately 100m then turn right along the bridleway. Follow the bridleway as it turns right and meets the road.
- 12Turn right and follow the road back through East Keal to the junction with Blacksmith Lane and School Lane.
- 13Turn right down School Lane and after the first house turn left along the footpath. Where the path emerges into a field turn left and follow the field edge towards the church.
- 14At the church turn left up Church Lane to return to the starting point.
This walk uses field paths, tracks and lanes. You may encounter stiles and livestock.