Scothern, Dunholme & Nettleham Scothern Walk
Scothern, Dunholme, Nettleham
This walk offers the opportunity to experience the open arable landscape north of Lincoln where the Limestone Heath meets the Lincoln Clay Vale. The pretty villages have Early English churches and some fine old houses and cottages. Mostly level walking it may be muddy and uneven in places. The villages are located north-east of Lincoln close to the A46.
St Germain’s Church
Grid reference TF 033 774
- 1Walk down School Crescent, off Main Street, opposite St Germain’s Church. As School Crescent turns right walk straight on along the footpath next to The Cottage. Enter the farm yard and bear right around the buildings to join a farm track. Follow the track alongside the drain turning left at a waymarker.
- 2Approximately 80m after the bend turn right off the track onto a footpath, keeping the hedge on your right, and follow the field edge, as it bends left, to a bridge. Turn right over the bridge and walk straight across two fields to the A46.
- 3Cross this busy road with care and follow the footpath opposite between houses. At the road turn left and then turn right before the pond along a footpath and leave the park via a narrow path which leads through a gate onto a gravel drive. Walk along the drive and at the road, turn left.
- 4Turn right in front of the memorial and then along Market Rasen Road beside the Beck.
- 5At the end of the village turn right onto Beck Lane. Cross the Beck and at the junction bear left to the A46.
- 6Cross this busy road with care and follow the bridleway opposite. Continue along the tarmac road as it becomes a farm track.
- 7After approximately a mile from crossing the road, turn right onto a footpath at the first of two footpath signs. Walk along the field edge, turning right at the field corner before following the footpath left over a bridge. Bear slightly right to cross a field and join a farm track.
- 8Before reaching the village take the public footpath on the right. Walk straight across the first field and bear slightly left across the second. Bear left across the corner of the third field and then through an area of trees. At the next field bear right to the far field corner. Bear left at the playing field, walk past the village hall to the road.
- 9Turn right past the Bottle and Glass pub to return to the church.
The walk uses roadside paths and field paths. The busy A46 is crossed twice. There are no stiles or livestock.