Leaving the city the route goes through the line of villages that sit on the South Lincolnshire Edge, a limestone cliff. There are extensive views across the Trent and Belvoir Vales and you are likely to see RAF planes in the sky.
South Common, Lincoln
- Linked to Public Transport
- Dog Friendly
Points of interest:
Cross O Cliff Orchard – one of Lincolnshire's few remaining orchards and home to many old varieties of apple and pear.
- 1Cross the road at the pedestrian crossing by the school entrance, turn left and walk uphill.
- 2Turn right onto the public footpath beside Orchard Walk.
- 3After approximately 500 metres at a junction of paths, bear left along the track. After another 350 metres at a junction with another footpath, turn right and follow the path along the edge of buildings to another path junction.
- 4Turn left and follow the footpath ahead for 2.4 miles (3.8 kilometres) to reach Waddington village and a road.
- 5Turn left and take the first right (Moxons Lane). At the T-junction by the pub continue straight ahead along High Street and through the village to a crossroads.
- 6Cross the road and continue straight ahead along Millers Road. Bear right off the road to follow the public footpath behind the houses. At the end of the houses follow the path along field edges and into Harmston and a road.
- 7Cross the road and walk across the fields to another village road.
- 8Turn left and at the traffic lights turn right and follow the roadside pavement for approx. 600m.
- 9Turn right onto a public footpath. After approx. 300m turn left and follow field edge. Follow the path to its end at a road in the centre of Coleby village.
- 10Turn right and by the church turn left onto High Street.
- 11At the pub and village green bear left along the top of the green. At the crossroads continue straight ahead along Dovecote Lane. As the road bends to the left turn right onto a public footpath and follow it to a hedge. Turn left. Follow the path along the field edges for approximately 0.75 miles (1.2 kilometres).
- 12Turn left through a gate, bear right across a paddock towards the cottage. Follow the road ahead.
- 13At the T-junction continue straight ahead through Boothby Graffoe village.
- 14Where the road bends left keep straight ahead along the public footpath. Follow the path into Navenby village (approximately 0.6 mile or one kilometre) and a junction with a lane.
- 15Turn left and after approximately 50 metres turn right onto Cat Walk. At the road turn left and at the T-junction turn right (signed Wellingore) along the High Street. Walk along the high street for approximately 350 metres.
- 16Turn right onto Clint Lane and follow it to its end.
- 17Continue straight ahead into a field and follow the path alongside the wall.
- 18At a junction of paths by the side of a wood turn left and follow the path for approx. 700m to the edge of Wellingore village and a junction of paths.
- 19Turn left. Follow the path across the playing field to the village hall. In front of the hall turn right, at the road turn left to the busy main road (A607). Cross the road with care.
- 20Turn right and then left at the church along Hall Street. Continue straight on as it becomes Sleaford Road.
The route uses town and village pavements, field paths and roads. There are no stiles, but you are likely to encounter livestock.